Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday

Steven & I visited the Retirement Home for Horses this morning. I've been anxious to visit ever since I saw it featured on Jack Hanna last year. It is only up in Alachua - a little north of Gainesville, but it always takes me a while to get around to things.

The property is 200+ acres dedicated to providing a peaceful place for horses to live out the remainder of their lives. There are retired service horses, blind horses, race horses, a donkey...they're all gentle and loving. Walking the property and feeding carrots to the residents was such a nice way to spend the morning. 

After we left the Retirement Home for Horses, we headed over to the Florida Museum of Natural History. We specifically wanted to visit their butterfly greenhouse. I've only visited two other butterfly greenhouses; one at Lukas' Nursery and another in Key West. This one falls a pitifully distant third. It was kind of a waste, but the body of the museum is profoundly interesting. I can't wait to return, and really sink my teeth into the exhibits. I always loved studying the natural history of Florida in school.


No comments: