Monday, November 10, 2008

Bailout

In order for me to condone financial support of Detroit, I require that they abandon their unimaginative business plan that addresses the buying habits of a 10-year old consumer environment, and focus on what consumers want to buy today. But that’s not possible.

It’s not possible because Detroit long ago ignored the value of innovation and creative solutions. U.S. automakers are currently unable to respond to a consumer market that prioritizes fuel-efficient transportation over wasteful SUVs and large trucks because they failed to anticipate and prepare. They allowed the business of new technology to become the domain of Japanese Automakers.

As I write this, the ink is not yet dry on the year-end bonus checks that the Wall Street elite recently wrote themselves. Even if my government learned nothing from bankrolling the financial instrument of Wall Street with few conditions, I have. I understand that people who are corrupt cannot be relied upon to use good judgment when the only virtue they use for guidance is avarice (if I'm being honest, I knew that before the bailout was implemented. I think that most people knew that). Due to the absence of firm restrictions and regulations, I opposed the Wall Street bailout.  

I emphatically object to financial support of the auto industry.

I object because doing so is a waste of money. U.S. automakers have only themselves to blame, and they are the architects of their own demise.

Detroit lobbyists have a long history in Washington. If financial support for Detroit is approved, it will signal only that our representation is as irresponsible as Detroit.

I sent this to my U.S. representation this morning. If this mirrors your attitude toward the bailout, please lift the whole thing, paraphrase, whatever. Just please, contact your legislators and inform them of your position on the bailout of Detroit.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Totally. If you child is irresponsible with money, do you bail him out by giving him a butt load more money! Really? What do you think is going to happen.