Monday, December 1, 2008

"Week in Review"

On Tuesday of last week, my friend Linda told me that she was coming over to visit for a couple of days after Thanksgiving. I spent the next couple of days frantically cleaning my filthy home. She ended up not coming over. Unfortunately, the threat of company is the only thing that motivates me to clean my house, so I'm not even marginally upset that she changed her plans. Living in a clean home has been wonderful.

Linda & Bill, and Steve & I went to the Gaylord Palms for Thanksgiving dinner. It was okay. We had fun because the four of us always have a good time together, but as far as the restaurant goes, I wouldn't do it again. The restaurant's greed got the best of them; it wasn't enough to charge $42 per person, but they also stuffed every spare area with extra tables and chairs. The dining room was so cramped that it was difficult to get up from our seats. 

We spent Friday lazying around. 

We saw Four Christmases on Saturday. You'd think that for a splashy production with all kinds of big stars, they'd spring for a decent wig for Reese. Near the end of the movie, the tired wig they popped on Reese's head was a distraction. The movie didn't make any sense. Reese and Vince start out happily together, not married, but also feeling no obligation to define their relationship. They spend the movie trotting to the homes of their divorced parents (hence the name). The time spent with their parents sucked, and that somehow inpired a change of heart in Reese. By the time they pulled up to her father's home (the last stop on the Odyssey), Reese wants a relationship talk; wants to know where things are going. What???!!!!  There were a few laughs, but overall the movie failed. Meh.

We got up for the farmer's market on Sunday. I wanted to buy some eggs, but I got things confused. The local chicken farm doesn't sell eggs at this farmer's market. 

The Orlando Farmer's Market is more of a craft fair. There is only ONE veggie vendor. Wha?! One? Huh? I do not get all of the incense and candle vendors. Who is buying all of that incense?

We took a nice stroll around the lake. Because of the cold temperatures, the Cypress Trees are losing their needles. They remind me of fall foliage.


I've lived in Orlando all my life, and I've driven past Brian's countless times, and never stopped. I've read glowing reviews of Brian's places like here and here and here. Finally, I ate there.

The restaurant was dirty. The service was unfriendly. The food was disgustingly greasy/stale/burned. It was just gross. 

The sweet bun basket was a combo of sweet rolls and a powdered sugar coated fritter. The fritter tasted like fish sticks. The sweet roll was just okay. 

Bottom line: Avoid!

No, I don't want a "Fresh" strawberry or blueberry short stack. I don't care to have "Today's Special" either.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Farmer's markets...yeah...where's the food?

Brian's? Sounds sucky.

Orlando ALL your life? Yeah, it is time for a move for you!