Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Once Upon A Time

I was about ten years old when I asked, "Mom? Do you believe in soulmates?" After she answered, "I think that you can love just about anyone if you really put your mind to it." I sat quiet. My mind was blank, and I was sad. Clearly, she did not think my father her soulmate, and worse, she didn't believe in soulmates. 

I wanted her to believe so that I could believe.

About twelve years ago, I met Leif. After several months of knowing him, I came to believe that he was "the one". We weren't a couple long enough for us to transition beyond the you-are-awesome-I-am-awesome-lovey-dovey stage 1. Then, he went into the Peace Corps (be still my Liberal heart). I loved him even more.

At the time, I felt so grown-up about my unapologetically pragmatic attitude toward his leaving. I said so-long to Leif and wished him well in his work. Though, for many years after, I dreamt of his farm-boy smile and crystal blue eyes. My heart was broken, and I was not moving on.

I didn't know what to do.

Eventually, I began to date. No one compared to Leif. I was not optimistic that anyone ever would.

Then I met Steve.

At once, I was flushed and silly, and I knew that he was my second chance. He immediately began occupying the part of my heart that I didn't even realize lay dormant. I wasn't consciously waiting to serendipitously again cross paths with Leif. I wasn't consciously saving my heart for him. But I was, until I met Steve.

Once upon a time, I met the love of my life.

He was wonderful, and we were wonderful.

Then he moved away, and I moved on.

Then I got a second chance.

And I did not squander it.

You get what you believe in.

1 comment:

Em said...

very touching...i can relate to the talk with your mom..i also had one of those and with similar results