Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Voting, or not

On the way to vote today, the first thing I saw when I neared the polling center was this.

Then I saw this...

and this...

and this.

The line continued for a block beyond the boundary of this picture. So, I turned around and went home. I hope to get the chance to vote later this week. I hope.

I admire these folks. They are waiting in line no less than an hour for their turn to vote. It is amazing what is happening this year.

I used to be friends with a girl with whom I went around and around about voting. She insisted that it didn't matter whether or not we voted. I passionately argued that it did. It wasn't until I witnessed the scores of black Americans lined up at the polls for early voting that the penny dropped. I'd never noticed many blacks voting. Then I wondered how, before this year, I ever thought my vote mattered.

Prior to this year, my only presidential choice has been old white guy, or the other old white guy. That's it. Old white guys. Rich old white guys. What does a wealthy old white guy know about being a poor white girl? Nothing. They don't know the first thing about being discriminated against.

I grew up listenting to my father pontificate about "reverse discrimination". As a professional who formerly worked in an EO office, I know for a fact that a reverse discrimination claim is the excuse that nearly all inept and useless white men use for their lack of professional success. I had a front-row seat to the workings of EEO/AA, and the fact is, the number one choice of hiring managers (remembering that over 90% of hiring managers are white male), is a white male. The ONLY way that a white male won't be hired is if he is a COMPLETE loser (partial losers are acceptable). 

Anyway, this is the first time in my life, that I have a chance to be represented in our highest governmental position. I don't know how to describe my feelings about this, but I am excited. I consider Senator Obama's book "The Audacity of Hope". That is how I feel - brave, brave enough to believe in a better America.

Yes, if it comes down to it, I will wait in a line for over an hour. I have to. Not just for the presidential election, but for all of the others. The religious crazies are at it again - trying to keep the absurdity of marriage to themselves. Share the stupidity people! Seriously! No on 2!

Then, there's the piddly county stuff. The members of the Orange County Commission are  devoid of ethics, and don't have the sense to say NO to kickbacks. So, there's a measure on the ballot, that (if it passes), will make it illegal for them to accept gifts. God, deliver me from these jackasses.

1 comment:

Ali said...

I know I'm not the brightest when it comes to these things, but I thought voting was on one day...seems there is a whole week of voting now?